View Single Post
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th June 2010, 04:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
To be honest, Royal Sovereign actually looks really good. It’s probably the best one I have seen that has been converted.
I have yet to see a showler that looks anything like "good" they are all crap, and a complete disregard for authentic exhibits and true preservation, and in no way offers any form of conservation. Quite historically degrading!

If the owner wanted a contrivance like that, why not buy one, there’s a few for sale, Preston’s have been trying to sell the Tabors old one for some time!

What will be next? a Aveling compound SV roller, cut about to have a winch drum under the boiler, and front wheels and traction engine type smoke box to be passed off as a ploughing engine? If the engines in question had be nothing put a pile of scrap, say with the rolls/forks missing then I prob wouldn’t be against them being made into something new, as there was prob little hope of the being restored easily to their original format, but to cut a historically important artifact about, and to smother it in makeup and pass it off for a piece of crap is degrading!

Like wise, people passing of their gorgeous 8NHP showman’s and road locos off on paper as 10NHP. perhaps these people (who seem to do it to boost their ego) should research the build history of their steed a bit more and learn to appreciate genuine traction engine (and British engineering) history a bit more!

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk

Last edited by jamespeterbrett; 9th June 2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: missed the word history out