View Single Post
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th April 2010, 09:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: ian morris

now, I have been around rallies since I was in a pram (don't remember the man with red flag in front of that - but come to think of it we never moved that fast, oh no dad not another engine, they all look the same, 40 odd years later, I notice they are in different colours.

seriously though when was that, I really don't remember it from the late 60's early 70's, but was curious to note in an older rally pic on here there were roped off walkways keeping the great unwashed at arms length from roaming beasts.

Makes sense really - the engines don't have signs like HGV's that say if ya canner see me mirrors I canna see yoo. and kids don't seem to have brains.

I managed to get from the camping field to the ring at one do last year, and considered myself lucky that one of the cretins had not impaled themselves on the front, the whistle seems like a tool to say "please tell your children to stand infront of the engine, and also if at posible could you walk directly infront of me, stop at will, after all I have 3/4 of a ton of moving metal with virtually no brakes, thankyou"

And then my son, 23, fresh out of uni says to me last night, well there ought to be a driving skills course, and until you pass it you can't drive on the field - he has a bit too learn yet. I did explain the apprentice club, and the competency scheme.

ian

ps how many points is a punter worth?