Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What Kills Rallies? (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=32461)

Triton 27th August 2014 11:51 PM

What Kills Rallies?

When you think about it, a lot of rallies have disappeared over the years for one reason or another. I know that I had a long spell away from the hobby due to work commitments and getting married etc in fact the period that I was in the "wilderness" was from 1993 to 2010.

Whilst i realise that some rallies were replaced by others such as I believe that the one at Merrymeet in Cornwall was replaced by the larger event at Boconnoc, what happened to the rallies at places like Newton Abbot Racecourse, Yelverton and Plymouth Hoe. Woodlands Leisure Centre near Dartmouth use to hold an annual event as did the now closed National Shire Horse Centre at Yealmpton in South Devon. Has the one formerly held at the World of Country Life at Exmouth ceased to exist? The latter was always poorly publicised and took place on the same weekend as the WESES one.

Are there any locations which could possibly see the re-introduction of rallies which took place years ago?

Steamhead21 28th August 2014 06:06 AM

Same in North East ( Northumberland, Durham, North Yorkshire. )
Quite a few rallys have dissapeard.
Chester-le-St rally, Barnard Castle, Stanhope I think was run by people who run Weardale railway.
Their are probable more.

Paul-Fish-Photos 28th August 2014 08:31 AM

I can some up the main points for rallies dissappearing.

H & S
Insurance costs
Complaints from locals.

steamy1 28th August 2014 08:43 AM

Successive years of Rain.

jamespeterbrett 28th August 2014 11:06 AM

at some shows the attitude of the organizers dose very little to boost their exhibitor numbers. To answer the question "What Kills Shows?" depends on a number of factors, and in most cases, is normally unique to each show. Of course there are some smaller shows that have finished simply because the main organizer has had to stop and no one else takes it over. Another is loss of venue,

1882 28th August 2014 11:42 AM

I blame those dogs that tow wooden trailers for killing rallies.....

Steam Extravaganza 28th August 2014 02:46 PM

Money and greed.

Not necessarily from engine owners either.

1882 29th August 2014 11:38 AM

Did it all go wrong when they started trying to make money and charging people to see engines?

Some of the best doo's we go to we get naff all for going, and Joey Bloggs pays the same amount to see us?

Lancashire Lad 29th August 2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1882 (Post 310306)
I blame those dogs that tow wooden trailers for killing rallies.....

What about the man with half a dozen oil cans or three old bikes?

We're doing it wrong!

Oh wait hold on a minute. I have the answer to the original question.... Conversions & The NTET!!

davidnclare 29th August 2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancashire Lad (Post 310382)
I have the answer to the original question....

The answer is 42.

If you get it you are showing your age, LOL