Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   masham steam rally 17th 18th july (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=12774)

BLACKTOP 24th June 2010 02:33 PM

masham steam rally 17th 18th july

just a quick note to exhibitors and enthusiasts the on going roadworks to a1 mean that this year you can now both exit and enter the masham road from northbound carriageway unfortunatly the southbound is now completly closed this means all southbound traffic has to leave at leeming services and come through bedale thanks. I have 41 steamers entered and this year sees a first for masham with the howard bros attending with engine and gallopers.

notyalc 24th June 2010 06:21 PM

Space will be a bit tight Nigel!.....

buggeroff 24th June 2010 09:39 PM

looking forward to it, hope this fine weather holds and i hope you have an excelent weekend.

Chris.

BLACKTOP 25th June 2010 02:39 PM

Fingers crossed for the weather and well be ok for room tony having a bit of a shuffle and there is no public camping on field they are in seperate field.

buggeroff 25th June 2010 05:22 PM

stop the buggers trying to escape mid sunday afternoon and causing chaos in gate .

Chris.

Timothy Hackworth Jr 25th June 2010 08:35 PM

Looking forward to it, we'll be there Sunday afternoon - so I hope folks don't clear off!

dmcre 25th June 2010 09:29 PM

I certainly intend to be still there on Sunday afternoon lets hope the weather stays good especially as this looks like being the last at the West Burton site.

BLACKTOP 26th June 2010 08:12 AM

Think you mean the campers chris not exhibitors as we know they dont try and rush of as i know its always hard to get you away from that beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buggeroff 26th June 2010 09:55 PM

i did mate, us regulars with or without an engine always stay until late or even the morning after, lets hope the comittee gets things sorted and has another rally next year and the year after that ond so on.

Chris.

Ian_Vinton 26th June 2010 11:10 PM

We are off to Masham with Fowler 10150, roading from Selby to Sun Inn, Long Marston on Saturday 10/7/10. The onto Masham on the Sunday.

Our route will be:-
Saturday - Selby to the outskirts of Church Fenton airport via Biggin. Through Ulleskelf, on New Lane/Raw Lane, right onto the A162 into Tadcaster. Through Tadcaster up the hill and left at the lights towards Wighill. At the church turn left towards Wighill Industrial Estate, straight over the roundabout and next right (on the worse road in Yorkshire, we call it slippery hill). Right onto the B1224 to the Sun Inn.

Sunday - From the Sun Inn we go right from their car park and head through Country roads to the A58, we turn left onto the A59 and follow this until we turn right into Green Hammerton. through Green Hammerton and right onto the B6265 towards Boroughbridge. We turn left near the church and cut across Country to the A168, which we follow until the roundabout for Ripon. We take the B6265 to Ripon, past the Racecourse and right at the roundabout onto the ring road. The second roundabout we turn left and left at the next roundabout, then right at the clock tower. A6108. We follow this to North Stainley where we park up.

Thursday before the show we finish the route from North Stainley to Masham.

Nice steady drive of 46 miles (ish).

Rough times will be published on " Steam on the Road" nearer the date.

Regards
Ian Vinton

BLACKTOP 8th July 2010 08:13 PM

Week to go till the hard work starts hope the 15 day forcast is wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

notyalc 8th July 2010 09:18 PM

Looking forward to it Nigel. Should be one to remember.....

Flying Scotsman 8th July 2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOP (Post 120141)
Week to go till the hard work starts hope the 15 day forcast is wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Excuse me young man but the hard work has been going on for some time, and its going to be sunny and warm, well some of the time. If you see a man with tears in his eyes its because he has got a set of gallopers shoved where he did'nt want them, and that's not the Howard Brothers. 42 engines, 100 tractors, 8 large Organs, Lightning ll in posh frock, Graham Atkinson's fabulous engines and dancing show, Renown, well heck, the landowners might change their minds, when they see what we've got going on. Tell all your friends its Masham as it used to be. See you there:cool::D

BLACKTOP 9th July 2010 05:02 PM

Im only saying the forcast at the moment for saturday is s**t may change 42 engines mm has someone snuk in without telling me have to catch the bugger make sure hes cosha

buggeroff 9th July 2010 07:06 PM

have him Nige, give him what for, it could be your mate from a few years ago .

Chris.

BLACKTOP 9th July 2010 09:06 PM

ha ha ha ha ha mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well i never chris. as for flying scotsman it can never be the masham i remember cos the week b4 we dont get the castleford waggons arriving in the auction mart and rollers coming up the a1 at 5mph. A theauction mart is flat and B WHO DARE NOW ROAD A ROLLER OR ANY ENGINE UP THE A1 ahhh those were the days. fodens sentinels yorkshires fowler avelings and many more all flat back on the road. some setting fire to wot ever crop was to hand right thats enough im starting to feel old

buggeroff 10th July 2010 04:02 PM

you are old, your dad told me mate. see you saturday and we will have a beer or 3.

Chris

mrmac22uk 10th July 2010 07:50 PM

Just looked at forcast nigel , could be in for a showery week , but saturday sunny & sunday chance of a shower . Does not sound to bad to me . i have got some special barrier tape to keep any undesirables away

BLACKTOP 11th July 2010 07:49 AM

That sounds fun is it the prickly type or knowing you it could be electrical;)

BLACKTOP 13th July 2010 02:50 PM

Forcast looks to be improving of up to set engine park and arena up tomorrow then back up thursday after work to stay

chairoplanes 13th July 2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKTOP (Post 118484)
just a quick note to exhibitors and enthusiasts the on going roadworks to a1 mean that this year you can now both exit and enter the masham road from northbound carriageway unfortunatly the southbound is now completly closed this means all southbound traffic has to leave at leeming services and come through bedale thanks. I have 41 steamers entered and this year sees a first for masham with the howard bros attending with engine and gallopers.

dont think so talking to howards and they told me that they were not going with the gallopers only the engine as flo grainger who never has replied to my letters re my chairoplanes. had booked screetons as well and howards told me that it was not any use having 2 sets i was told this on sat at cheshire steam were i was there with my dodgems and adult chairs

Flying Scotsman 13th July 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairoplanes (Post 120640)
dont think so talking to howards and they told me that they were not going with the gallopers only the engine as flo grainger who never has replied to my letters re my chairoplanes. had booked screetons as well and howards told me that it was not any use having 2 sets i was told this on sat at cheshire steam were i was there with my dodgems and adult chairs

You must have had the wrong address, havent seen any of your letters, sorry. I do not book the fairground equipment and did not book Screetons myself, so perhaps you should check your facts. I have been retired for 4 years and only stepped in to keep the show alive for the 45th, so could'nt have booked you anyway.

Pandora's Firebox 14th July 2010 09:36 AM

Eeehh I remember early 80's when we had to visit without an engine 'cos Dad had Pandora in bits and the Wagons were all gone (although Ian was looking after Tom Varley's DG6P at the time). We had to camp at top o't hill and it took 2 cars to tow one caravan to t' top and was still a struggle on the damp grass! 6 of us kids all had to sit in the back of Harold Bell's Triumph 2000 to try to increase grip! Fantastic view of the rally once up there though! Happy days!!!

Looking forward to Saturday - rain or shine!

woody2 14th July 2010 02:38 PM

any idea of the line up on the fair ground?

BLACKTOP 14th July 2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora's Firebox (Post 120740)
Eeehh I remember early 80's when we had to visit without an engine 'cos Dad had Pandora in bits and the Wagons were all gone (although Ian was looking after Tom Varley's DG6P at the time). We had to camp at top o't hill and it took 2 cars to tow one caravan to t' top and was still a struggle on the damp grass! 6 of us kids all had to sit in the back of Harold Bell's Triumph 2000 to try to increase grip! Fantastic view of the rally once up there though! Happy days!!!

Looking forward to Saturday - rain or shine!

Yes it is was talking to our comentator about this wondered if we could sit up there . he said no problem he could use radio mike the only problem was we need a good pair of binoculars as the eye sight just aint wot it used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

buggeroff 14th July 2010 08:06 PM

Lets hope that rain holds off Nigel, dont want wellies out this year.

Chris.

BLACKTOP 14th July 2010 08:21 PM

HERE YOU GO CHRIS NO PUDDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![ IMG]http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r372/TAXBIRD/SDC10128.jpg [/IMG]http://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r...D/SDC10127.jpg

Pandora's Firebox 15th July 2010 09:37 AM

That Transit's got stuck on a cow pat! Tractor to the rescue! ;)

buggeroff 15th July 2010 02:01 PM

thanks Nigel, i usually take photos with engines in back ground.

Chris.

Tar-Pot 15th July 2010 08:24 PM

The field is filling up nicely. We put the roller and clutter in tonight and there were quite a few more engines arriving.
The ground conditions are fine. A good move by the organisers not having the weekend campers in the main field this year, it should stop things getting cut up too badly.
Its going to be a good weekend.

Tar-Pot 15th July 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody2 (Post 120770)
any idea of the line up on the fair ground?

Screetons gallopers are built up in the main field.
There are the usual dodgems on the main fair (owners name escapes me at the moment-sorry) and Glenn Millers paratrooper. Thats it for big rides this year as unfortunately Terry Atha couldnt make it with his waltzer. There is also Billy Smith with his joint and ducks, John Henry Caris and Mr Hirst amongst others on the main fair. Barry Aisbett has his toyset next to the gallopers.
I have started building my shooting gallery up and I think we will put the big striker up as well.

Luke 16th July 2010 08:56 AM

just a quick note to say the howards will be going this year with the engine ( renown ) but not the gallopers cheers

chairoplanes 16th July 2010 08:18 PM

re howards gallopers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman (Post 120717)
You must have had the wrong address, havent seen any of your letters, sorry. I do not book the fairground equipment and did not book Screetons myself, so perhaps you should check your facts. I have been retired for 4 years and only stepped in to keep the show alive for the 45th, so could'nt have booked you anyway.

looks like i got my facts right as howards have not attendd with there gallopers like i stated in previous thread

chairoplanes 17th July 2010 01:16 PM

masham

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman (Post 120717)

i have checked my facts and i was right howards are not there with the gallopers as i mentioned in previous post maybee you should check your correspondance in case you did not see any of my 4 stamped adressed letter i sent

swampie5 18th July 2010 11:35 PM

Masham steam rally

It was still a great weekend even if howards didnt bring their gallopers and screetons did with the fantastic renown stood next to them they looked a beatiful sight thanks also to the dedicated and loyal team of masham steam rally under the guidence of mrs grainger we had a very succesful weekend :)

Flying Scotsman 19th July 2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chairoplanes (Post 121153)
i have checked my facts and i was right howards are not there with the gallopers as i mentioned in previous post maybee you should check your correspondance in case you did not see any of my 4 stamped adressed letter i sent

You may well have sent 4 stamped adresses envelopes to me but I have not received them, and that is a fact. Do you have copies and dates please? We did indeed have Screetons Galopers alongside 'Renown', and as it was felt that the show would not stand two sets, sensible negotiations took place to reach a suitable compromise, as they know each other very well. They were equally very much enjoyed by us and our visitors.

the artfull-codger 19th July 2010 07:32 PM

had a gr8 time sat & sun, the best part was the ''road run'' bottom gear going up the hill, lots of cheering along the way, & best of all a nice pint of black sheep in the square & a good chinwag- superb!!

slan go fol

Tar-Pot 19th July 2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the artfull-codger (Post 121446)
had a gr8 time sat & sun, the best part was the ''road run'' bottom gear going up the hill, lots of cheering along the way, & best of all a nice pint of black sheep in the square & a good chinwag- superb!!

slan go fol

Bottom gear?

Tar-Pot 19th July 2010 09:18 PM

Had a very enjoyable weekend. There was a great atmasphere throughout.
One particular highlight was watching Keith Collins about to load Pandora. It involved the telephone and asking for instructions on how to load the engine as he had never done it before. The couple of onlookers seemed to be taking it in.
It was great to see all of the showmans engines lit up next to the gallopers and stage show on the saturday night.
Roll on next year !!

the artfull-codger 4th September 2010 08:43 PM

road run!!

re-bottom gear, well I have a choice of two, bottom or top, so with a trailer full of coal & water plus passenger, having not done the road run at masham before[my son did it last year with me on the back] I decided on bottom gear [or low speed if you like] just so I didn't end up with egg on me mush if I didn't make it to the top!!

slan go fol