Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted Adverts (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   fowler governors (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=49314)

ethel 16th February 2023 10:58 AM

fowler governors

Wanted complete set or any parts of Fowler governors. Please ring Anthony on 07753 813758. Thankyou.

weidner 16th February 2023 12:20 PM

Do you have the valve inside the cylinder casting ?
I can supply a drawing of all the governor parts , but the quality is pretty poor .

Knappfarm1664 5th September 2023 11:06 AM

Does anyone have a photograph of the governor valve and or the seat for a Fowler 10hp compound (K7 Plougher) I have the drawing but I cannot make sense of it

weidner 5th September 2023 11:50 AM

I admit that the drawing from MERL is in pretty poor condition , but as far as I remember most dimensions are decipherable, with difficulty and a bit of guesswork . The layout will be confusing , because Fowlers crowded all the governor components onto one sheet .
On the compounds the axis for the valve is horizontal , while that for the rotating assembly is vertical , and there is a rocker turning the action through 90 degs. I believe that there is also a bronze spring in the assembly in the cylinder . If this is on the drawing , then it is missing the details which you would need to renew it . Failure of this spring helped give Fowler governors a poor name .
The single cylinder assembly had a 180 deg leaf spring , for which we have a drawing and an example . These corrode , and can suffer trauma . On my engine the rotating assembly had been thieved , leaving the valve intact in the cylinder . With a new assembly fitted the engine will drive around a field quite steadily on the governor , so they do govern pretty well .

Anyone fancying trying their hand at traditional draughtsmanship could do a good service if they redrew the MERL drawing .

tenor 6th September 2023 11:55 AM

Quote:

Anyone fancying trying their hand at traditional draughtsmanship could do a good service if they redrew the MERL drawing .
2 problems
I have been CADing for so long, I think I have forgotten how.
What you really need is a tracer. That has been a dying trade (usually female) for about 50 years.
I can still smell the heady scent of nicotine, BO, tracerette perfume, indian ink, ammonia and linen. Happy days.

Martin

weidner 6th September 2023 02:36 PM

The drawing in question is too faint to be traced .

craigctt 6th September 2023 08:06 PM

The original blueprint is owned by a steam enthusiast to this day. Nothing to do with Merl. The kind gent cave me the lone many years ago to copy.

craigctt 6th September 2023 08:17 PM

I have a at least one set of Pickering Governors plus many other parts which I will probably go through in the next few months and list on here or eBay

weidner 6th September 2023 09:49 PM

There is also this poor copy at MERL , and I have provided copies of that to several people .

fowler10242 21st September 2023 04:18 PM

Does anyone have a pattern for the governor bracket (ie the casting) for an a4/r class?