Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Wiston Steam Rally 2nd & 3rd July 2011 (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=14736)

dollybird 17th November 2010 09:57 PM

Wiston Steam Rally 2nd & 3rd July 2011

Sussex Steam Shows Ltd are pleased to announce our new venue for our 2011 Rally for Sussex Steam Engine Club at the grounds of Wiston House in West Sussex.

The Rally will be held over the weekend of Sat 2nd &Sun 3rd July 2011.

All enquiries to:

Event Organiser
Bluebell Cottage
High Street
Hartfield
East Sussex
TN7 4AD

email: info@sussexsteamrally.co.uk

Hairy_monster 18th November 2010 08:22 PM

Can I come

The Mover 19th November 2010 10:52 AM

Could we come too? I'm sure the Foden & Aveling would love a weekend away!

PS - looks like a great venue!! Well done.

YYS4BOB 19th November 2010 08:37 PM

Hurrah!!:D

dollybird 20th November 2010 02:15 PM

Mike and Neil, yes you can come! We'll hopefully be posting out entry forms soon.

ross anderson 22nd November 2010 09:09 PM

Room for a wallis

The Mover 23rd November 2010 01:54 PM

Ross,

How's Maude getting on, seems a long time ago when we took it down to GDSF...

Neil

woodypup59 23rd November 2010 05:27 PM

Ah good, the weekend before Ardingly.

AND68Y 26th November 2010 09:29 AM

wiston rally

Is this open to 4" plus model engines

THE GREAT NOISE 28th November 2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AND68Y (Post 139278)
Is this open to 4" plus model engines

Yes it is Andy. what have you got.

8945 29th November 2010 08:05 PM

Can we come with the Sentinel please?

Cheers

Matt

AND68Y 30th November 2010 09:41 AM

4" alfred dodman

dollybird 2nd December 2010 05:26 PM

Yes Matt you can come too. We've got a lot of space to fill!

mclaren6 16th December 2010 09:46 PM

Hi Anne and Ian,

Excellent news on the new rally and venue, look forward to it.
Have tried the e-mail entry form on sussexsteamrally but couldn't get it to work, have you got contact details from dial post rally

Cheers

Bill

THE GREAT NOISE 9th January 2011 05:22 PM

Hi Bill
The links are all working now. Sorry for late response, first chance to post on here since before xmas. Entry forms are in the post.
Ian

dollybird 31st March 2011 09:52 PM

Just a quick update on our rally at Wiston Park: so far over 130 exhibits have been entered and we have plenty of space for many more. If you are planning on entering, we would love to hear from you sooner rather than later to ensure that you get a mention in the show programme.
This year we are supporting two charities: The Bloodrunners (Service by Emergency Rider Volunteers) who provide an out of hours service transporting blood and samples and other items urgently needed to hospitals and rely solely on donations and volunteers to carry out this vital service, and The Teenage Cancer Trust who are devoted to improving the lives of teenagers and young adults with cancer.
We will again have traction engine hauled trailers providing rides around the site in return for donations, all the proceeds of which will go to these charities.

dollybird 23rd June 2011 09:46 PM

Getting close now and with 350 exhibits booked in, including 40 full size engines and 30 miniatures!
Looking forwad to it, just hoping for a bit of sun!!

Steam Lady 26th June 2011 08:11 PM

I've heard that some of the engines that did the London to Brighton might be there.
I'd be greatful for an update on this.

Many thanks

dollybird 27th June 2011 09:24 PM

Becky, One of them is there already, hopefully the other two will be by the weekend, all being well!

The Little Noise 28th June 2011 05:14 PM

Is it true that you have an engine coming all the way from new zealand?

Allchin 1105 29th June 2011 09:57 PM

Wiston Rally

Hi All, does anyone know if there are any 'First Time' appearances of engines at the show ? Cheers Ian

fowler10242 4th July 2011 06:47 AM

Just wanted to say how good
Wiston Park was! The venue couldn't be any better and the whole thing seemed well organised and very well supported! Well done folks, will definitely be back with am engine (or parts of 10242!) next year! P

steaming my way 4th July 2011 07:52 AM

I would also liked to thank the organisers, spent a really nice afternoon yesterday in the sun, A really relaxed show with so much too look at. Cant wait for next year.

Julia 4th July 2011 08:38 AM

Thankyou - Great Show

Two Fodens 4th July 2011 11:40 AM

A brilliant venue and well organised show

What a brilliant weekend in a lovely setting. My first rally as a participant for nearly four years and only then as the 'hirer' of my son Jim's Marshall, Annie.

Everything was well organised, even the weather. I hope we're going to do it all in the same place again.

Alan

PS had the engine waterers been on grumpy pills, they were the only ones without a smile on their faces!

Steam Scenes 4th July 2011 12:14 PM

There are a good selection of pictures taken at this event here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/preservedtransport/

8_10 Brass Cleaner 4th July 2011 12:20 PM

Crikey, the poor old Burrell gold medal has had some stick (the one with the little wheels)

Engine John 4th July 2011 02:05 PM

Yes, does look a little scorched in the chimock department....

Steam Scenes 4th July 2011 02:13 PM

5 GMT's in total, quite a turn out.

8_10 Brass Cleaner 4th July 2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine John (Post 166979)
Yes, does look a little scorched in the chimock department....

In the chimmock? the chimmock is easy, doing that to the smokebox on the other hand.........

Has Mr Snodin's Tasker has some new back wheels?

andy_smith 4th July 2011 02:56 PM

GMT's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steam Scenes (Post 166982)
5 GMT's in total, quite a turn out.

Yep David and eveyone of them is different!

MikeN 4th July 2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allchin 1105 (Post 166598)
Hi All, does anyone know if there are any 'First Time' appearances of engines at the show ? Cheers Ian

Yes I took my recently completed 6" Ruston P for its first proper outing. We had a nice time.
Mike

tasker tractor 4th July 2011 05:57 PM

Very nice relaxed show thanks to the committee for letting me come and play with my Tasker

mkings6056 4th July 2011 06:20 PM

cracking weekend many thanks to all involved in marshalling and organising the show.

Steam Lady 4th July 2011 07:39 PM

Well what a fab weekend that was.

Thank you so much to everyone involved in setting up and running the show.
We really enjoyed the rally and can't wait till next year.

Long live Wiston steam rally :-)

P.S We will take the water cart next year to make the firemen's weekend a little easier.

Allan 4th July 2011 09:07 PM

Excellent Sunday out with plenty to see.
Thankyou Al

marshall68872 4th July 2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner (Post 166983)
Has Mr Snodin's Tasker has some new back wheels?

Nope, its still the original set of wheels, it has been re-tyred though.

I must say Wiston has been my favorite rally so far this year! Beautiful site, good exhibits, nice weather and a cracking beer tent!

T.

Wallis8104 4th July 2011 09:18 PM

What a great weekend, wish my roller could have been there.
Had a great run back on Edds Tasker, shame didnt get to see the K's Tasker though.
Well done everyone

8945 5th July 2011 06:45 AM

Had a great weekend, really enjoyed ourselves with the waggon and the tractor. The engine water fillers did a great job too no wonder they looked grumpy as they were on the go nearly all weekend!

Matt

wallis owner 5th July 2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner (Post 166966)
Crikey, the poor old Burrell gold medal has had some stick (the one with the little wheels)

That will be down to having to pull a roller van and a large showman's van back from Edenbridge recently when another engine failed (no prizes to the Sussex contingent for guessing which one:D). It's a pretty hilly route for the south east with most of it being done in second gear (up and down). It looks as if the top of the smokebox door distorted in the heat letting air in and making things even hotter. The door was straightened but there wasn't time to paint before heading off to Wiston. I suspect it was preferred not to attack it with an oily rag to give a better chance of the paint sticking when it gets back home.

As has been said the show was excellent and has room to grow on the site. Have to say the Tardis' were some of the best maintained I've ever come across at a rally.

The waterer's almost smiled when they advised that we might like to go to my wife's assistance as she was trying to stop the water tank for the miniature railway falling over after they'd filled it.