Traction-Talk

Traction-Talk (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/index.php)
-   Steam Events (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pickering latest (https://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=35663)

tiny 1st August 2015 08:02 AM

still not going, going to Ramsey rally in Cambrideshire,never been before

dmcre 1st August 2015 09:32 AM

Also still not going and I am less than an hour away and not doing anything!

notyalc 1st August 2015 10:51 AM

Your loss!

Thecoalman 2nd August 2015 10:58 AM

Went up yesterday first ever visit to Pickering and took 10 ton of proper steam coal.

Good atmosphere lots to see loads of traders, 30+ engines, 3 stage shows i would say well done to all and hope it will get back on track.

We need to encourage new organizers.

Robert The Bruce 2nd August 2015 01:29 PM

Was not going to go despite living within the 2 miles. Previous posts described it a great improvement so popped into the Pickering rally this morning. Although it was the one on the A169 near Pickering was totally different to what is described above. £12.00 entrance fee. Nothing happening, some engines still sheeted down. Stall holders packing up at 10.15 and going home. They told me been quiet all weekend. Large building, notice board outside said craft and fine food. Inside tat, Pork Pies, Pasties and Pork scratching. Managed to spin it out to 90 minutes, 35minutes spent talking to an old friend I had not seen for a couple of years. As we left noticed several tractors and other exhibitors leaving despite people still going in and being charged full admission charge. Things will have to change before I venture back.

Cygnus X-1 2nd August 2015 05:24 PM

I visited today for the first time in three years and enjoyed the day , as a member of the public I think it's more organized than I remember .
Good selection of engines to see and I got parked across the road from the show field , not fields away as in the past .
It would be great if owners of showmens engines had the same attitude as the Saunders guys and parade the engines round the arena .
For me it's heading in the right direction :D

Dave

rustytrucks 3rd August 2015 08:05 AM

We went with the Marshall and from the perspective of an exhibitor it was like any other rally - some good bits, some less so. What struck me though was the sheer effort that all involved had put into the thing, despite the well-documented bickering (see what I did there?) between current and previous organisers.

What makes a rally though is not the organisers but the exhibitors, and it was a great privilege to be amongst a fine bunch who all put in a lot of effort to make it as interesting and enjoyable for the paying public. So well done them, and well done the organisers for trying their hardest to make it all happen.

flyboy 3rd August 2015 08:49 AM

Went up to Pickering yesterday for the first time in years and have to say I was pleasantly surprised, however I was also a little disappointed to see exhibitors leaving early (one at 9.30 in the morning), unfortunately this seems to have become the norm at a lot of rallies lately, the excuse "we've been here all weekend and it's a long way home" isn't really a valied reason in my opinion as you know that when you enter, at the end of the day it's people paying to come through the gates that keep these things going and empty spaces will soon put them off returning. All that said I think with a little time Pickering could get back to being the event it once was.